Sunday, November 23, 2014

Thoughts on Pokemon!

Giving thoughts on an entity like Pokemon at this point is the gaming journalism equivalent of cleaning a whale with a cotton swab. I admit the task ahead is a bit daunting; but as I watch the opening cinematic for the freshly released Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, I cannot help but think of just how far the game has come since I first turned on my Gameboy Color and began Pokemon Red. With this realization clinging to my thoughts, I can't think of a better opportunity to take a look back at one of Nintendo's most recognized titles.


In American the gaming sensation began on September 28th, 1998 with the dual release of Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue. The following year would yield Pokemon Yellow on October 18th, in what would become the trend of releasing each new generation of the game in couples, punctuated by a slightly updated rerelease of the title soon after. Up until recently this rerelease normally came as a one of; but Black 2 and White 2 sent that right out the window, though I would hardly call the step innovative. Honestly having the game released released this way meant that there was more for the single player to miss out on if no one with the corresponding copy happened to be around. Yet, I suppose it is incentive to get out there and make some friends.

For me it began on a birthday, mine specifically (I never received gifts on other people's birthday, though I am not sure why) and, to my excitement, I opened up a brand new Gameboy Color and Pokemon Red to go right along with it. My excitement was such that I can hardly remember anything else I had gotten that year, and I could hardly wait for the party to end so that everyone would go away and I could get to playing my game. Looking back now, there wasn't that much to do from a gameplay approach. Complete the PokeDex, become the league champion, and deal with whatever shenanigans that Team Rocket has brewing. In the next couple of generations, they didn't change much; only serving in little gimmicks at a time. My guess is they were testing the waters on what areas of gameplay could be expounded upon. Only in the recent games have we seen actual development in expanding what all there is to do in the games, and some things are starting to stick. There is character customization, additions like Super Training, and the Global Trade Network; all of which are allowing for much more time to be spent in game on matters beyond the PokeDex and the Elite Four.

While it's true that for over a decade GameFreak has been releasing, what is essentially, the same game again and again; I have to admit that the game feels fresher now than it ever has. It goes without saying that the only group that gives in to this game time and time again are the fans, and as a fan myself it shows that the fanbase is only growing. So the duo of GameFreak and Nintendo are obviously onto something. Although I am as invigorated about this play through as I was on my very first; I cannot help but think of more...

Pokemon Snap is now a dusty old gem, but a gem it remains (not to mention it is my favorite Pokemon title). I wonder if they could incorporate collectible photo albums into these core games in a way; perhaps to reward exploration with something a bit newer than the traditional TM find. All this could culminate with hidden photo opportunities you catch on film being collected in a museum of some description, with a wondrous reward for completion. This is only one of many possibilities and just a thought, and it my or may not work; but it would be a powerful addition to the game mechanics as they are and I feel that this is what I hunger for.



Maybe I am asking too much. The franchise seems to be doing just fine, and the fandom has never been bigger or more connected. I am enjoying my game very much, I can't shake the feeling that I am dancing to the same song again and again. Believe me, that isn't the criticism that it sounds like; but it is my honest worry, and Nintendo seems to have a habit of reviving old properties to put on yet another show every couple of years. So long as they keep them coming with new ideas and presentations, then I suppose I am just barking at nothing. If you are a fan of the series or not, Pokemon looks to be in it to stay and I for one am not disappointed. As I have said I am playing through this new reboot with the childlike joy I felt at that birthday all those years ago (which was more years ago than I would care to mention), albeit with a more refined expectation.

Love it or hate it, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments! That's all for now so we'll catch ya next time.

No comments: